- Associate Professor
- Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Gabriella Y. Carolini is an Associate Professor of urban planning at MIT, where she directs the City Infrastructure Equity Lab and is a co-PI on the MIT American Water Shut-offs Project. Her expertise lies in combining political economic and spatial analyses to examine the governance and financial architecture behind water and sanitation infrastructures. Gabriella’s research emphasis therein is on understanding the distributive justice implications of infrastructure projects, on exposing the vulnerabilities faced by marginalized urban communities, and on co-designing improved futures. Her work has been published in journals including the International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Urban Studies, Environment and Planning C, and the American Journal of Public Health, among others.
- J-WAFS PI Gabriella Carolini's new book explores equitable development in the Global South
- MIT summer 2022 recommended reading list features work from J-WAFS PI
- MIT Water Affordability Workshop explores solutions to America’s water affordability crisis
- World Water Day 2022 Research Highlight: Enhancing water equity and access programs