J-WAFS 2021 Video Contest: MIT Research for a Water Secure Future
All entrants agree to comply unconditionally with all the provisions set out in these rules. Any entrant who does not comply will be considered ineligible for participation.
J-WAFS shall have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the contest and determine compliance with these rules, and the right at its sole discretion to refuse, reject, and/or remove any video, in whole or in part, that does not abide by these rules and those laid out in the video call for submissions or for any other reason.
1. SPONSOR. The Sponsor is the Abdul Latif Jameel Water and Food Systems Lab at MIT (J-WAFS), E70, 12th floor, MIT, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA. 02139; (hereinafter “Sponsor”).
2. TERM. The 2021 video contest: MIT Research for a Water Secure Future (hereafter “Contest”) begins on January 19th, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern Standard Time (EST) and ends March 22nd, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. ET. All entries must be received by March 10th, 2021, at noon EST. Information on how to enter and the prizes available is part of the video Call for Submissions. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a judged contest based on evaluation criteria and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
3. WHO MAY ENTER. See the video Call for Submissions. If an individual has not reached 18, they must obtain and provide written consent and permission from their parent or legal guardian prior to entering the contest.
4. HOW TO ENTER. There is no entry fee. One entry is allowed per person or team. All submitted videos must be uploaded to YouTube and all entries must be submitted using the competition Video Submission Webform. Submissions must comply with the eligibility criteria and requirements in the video Call for Submissions. Submissions that do not meet the requirements will not be judged or made accessible on the J-WAFS website.
Videos posted on YouTube are subject to the terms set by that platform. Please refer to the YouTube Terms of Service and Community Guidelines for details. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by YouTube.
5. NO THIRD PARTY LOGOS/INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY/TRADEMARKS. Any entrant who incorporates any logos, intellectual property, trademarks or material owned by a third party into their video does so at their own risk. If J-WAFS, as the sponsor, is notified that any element of an entrant’s video infringes upon the rights of another person and/or receives a legally valid request to remove the video from this contest because of such infringement, such video may be removed from and/or disqualified from the contest, as J-WAFS determines in its sole discretion. Further, no entrant will be eligible to receive the prize unless J-WAFS determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that such entrant’s video has been or can be sufficiently cleared for legal purposes. J-WAFS may elect to blur incidental third party trademarks or logos in any entered video at its sole discretion.
6. MUSIC. Any music included in a video must be original and all music and/or lyrics must be written and performed solely by you or obtained legally as royalty-free or purchased form a third-party vendor. For any third-party-created music, J-WAFS is expressly granted the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, edit, publish, translate, and distribute that music (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed for the full term of any copyright that may exist in such material, with the objective to promote the goals of the contest and mission of J-WAFS. If J-WAFS determines in its sole discretion that the music you have included in your video is not original, or infringes on any third-party rights, the J-WAFS may either disqualify your entry or may dub over the music with music selected by J-WAFS in its sole discretion.
7. CONTEST ENTRANTS CONDUCT. All entrants of the contest shall not submit any video(s) that in whole or in part violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others; that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights; vulgar, obscene, profane, contains morbid images, or otherwise objectionable material; that encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense; that gives rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any law, including, but not limited to, HIPAA; or that contains any advertising or any solicitation with respect to products or services.
All entrants shall not modify, exploit, create derivative works, or otherwise interfere with the material submitted by other entrants. In the event of permitted copying, distribution, or publication of such material, no changes in or deletion of author attribution, trademark legend, or copyright notice shall be made.
8. THIRD PARTY RIGHTS AND CLEARANCES.
Submitted videos must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, and rights of privacy, publicity, or any other proprietary rights of a person or entity, and may require: location releases for footage shot at any location; name, voice, and likeness releases for any person whose name, voice, likeness, and/or feature appears; releases for the use of any props, set dressings, and other materials used; releases from any individuals participating in the production of the video and releases for any other audio and/or audio-visual materials not wholly owned by the participant(s) that are used.
If the video contains any material or elements not owned by the entrant(s) and/or are subject to proprietary rights of third parties, the entrant(s) hereby automatically grant(s) or warrant(s) that any third parties owning material included in the submitted video, has(ve) expressly granted to Sponsor the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, edit, publish, translate, and distribute such material (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed for the full term of any copyright that may exist in such material, with the objective to promote the goals of the Contest and the mission of Sponsor.
Burden of Determination
The burden of determining that any material is not protected by copyright, trademark, rights of privacy, publicity, or any other proprietary rights rests with the entrant. The entrant shall bear the sole liability for any damage resulting from any infringement of copyrights, proprietary rights, or any other harm resulting from such a submission.
For any person(s) under the age of 18 appearing in any video, entrant must obtain parental consent prior to video submission.
9. USER RIGHTS. Entrant grants to J-WAFS at MIT a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, display, reproduce, edit, publish, translate, and distribute the submitted video (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed for the full term of any copyright and renewal that may exist in such material, with the objective to promote the goals of the contest or the mission of J-WAFS.
Entrant grants to J-WAFS the right to use submitted video to create a trailer or to splice together with other submitted videos for the objective of promoting the goals of the contest or the mission of J-WAFS. Entrant agrees J-WAFS is not required to place acknowledgement (as stated below) on a trailer or spliced work as described in this paragraph.
Entrant grants to J-WAFS the right to use the entrants’ names, likenesses, photographs, voices, sounds and/or biographical information and videos in connection with the contest and for any and all advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes relating to the contest or promoting the mission of J-WAFS. The entrant will be clearly acknowledged for any use of his/her material and his/her name will accompany any dissemination of the material he/she owns by J-WAFS. Beyond permission granted herein and acknowledgment, J-WAFS shall not be obliged to compensate the entrant for use of the submitted material, unless prohibited by law.
10. DATA PRIVACY. Entrants agree that personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, shared and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the contest and any other purposes outlined in these rules. The data may also be used by the J-WAFS in order to verify the participant’s identity, postal address and telephone number or to otherwise verify the participant’s eligibility to participate in the contest. Participants have the right to access, review, rectify or cancel any personal data held by Sponsor by writing to J-WAFS at MIT at jwafs (at) mit.edu. Personal data will be used by J-WAFS and its affiliates exclusively for the purposes stated herein.